Saint Romain, attractive Burgundian village is situated is 13 km in the Southwest of Beaune in Côte-d'Or.
Surrounded between abrupt cliffs and rocky spur it is one of the the oldest villages of the region.
The story of the village goes back to the Neolithic, towards 4300 before J. C., pieces of potteries found at bottom of cliffs testify of the presence of the people in this period.
The numerous caves were used as refuges and as hiding places to the inhabitants of Saint Romain during the invasion of Romain and the attacks of the Barbarians.
The castle build on a rocky spur dominating the village. The first texts give evidence of its presence from of XIIth century.
Bought in 1300 by the dukes of Burgundy, it was shaved in the Revolution.
Rolling up the rocky spur, many houses were built with stones of the old castle.
The searches brought to light a Merovingian necropolis as well as the rests of the castrale chapel, the parish church until XVth century
An archaeological path arrowed the old castle demolished evokes the site's history while offering a superb view over the village and the Côte de Beaune.